1. Welcome to Game Makers Forums

Whether you are a new, amateur or professional developer, you will find your place here.

Register to Download Sample Code or Advertise your Project.

Register also gives you the ability to be helped or help others:

Dismiss Notice

Planning self hosting DWM engine

Discussion in 'DWM News' started by a_bertrand, Jun 18, 2017.

1. a_bertrand

a_bertrand Administrator

Hi,

We are currently discussing and preparing a prototype of an engine you can install on your VPS and edit / run your game there. It will have nearly all features as you already have on our website beside a few exceptions:
    - You will not be able to let other create their games (one installation = one game)
    - No HTML5 or APK export

The installation will require node.js but we could automatize the installation or mostly. We could support Windows and Linux hosting.

We are thinking of a price of 150$ for this package.

For this step we would need a few beta testers, and therefore we will offer the package at 100$ for them. Please answer to this thread for whoever is interested or have questions.

2. sniko

sniko Active Member

Programmer
    Home Page:
    • Will the beta license (the $100 version) be transferred to a full license after the beta period?
    • How would a beta tester receive updates to the engine? Automatic download, or a manual process?
    • Are beta testers allowed to use the beta license as a commercial product (ie: deploy to production and start bringing in users and monetising)?

3. a_bertrand

a_bertrand Administrator

1) Yes the beta license will be transferred to a full license after the beta period with a full year of free upgrade after the beta.
    2) It's a manual process which should apply only the changes and don't touch everything else. Even I'm checking how to keep your own changes in case.
    3) Yes it's your license you can use right away to host your commercial game.

To keep you informed, I already have a self-installing script working on linux which doesn't modify your OS beside creating a new DB:
    - 1 command line to download and install it
    - Another command line to start the server after being installed => and you have your game running on your server.

4. a_bertrand

a_bertrand Administrator

Ready in my local version:
    - command line tools to either compile at call the different pieces or all, or continue to watch for changes and compile as soon as something changes.
    - engine works out of the box without special knowledge, just run 1 command and the installer does the job (without modifying your OS and can be run without being root)

What I'm working on:
    - patch system which will let you upgrade your local engine with one command.

5. a_bertrand

a_bertrand Administrator

Upgrade system in place, needs to test it carefully but that would make the installation process complete on the linux side. I'm also still looking for some beta testers.

• Like Like x 1
  6. a_bertrand

a_bertrand Administrator

If you want to see how the installation look like:

Of course the download link is not valid, and... I made a mistake (didn't made a "cd dwm" at start) but doesn't change much.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Colum Ferry

Colum Ferry Moderator

I think that once the engine grows in popularity this could be a massive feature, as I believe many game owners would prefer if they had the game running on their own box.

It also takes the pressure off you to maintain your own box to allow these game owners to have their games.

8. a_bertrand

a_bertrand Administrator

Well the package is ready to be tried, at least on linux. The installation process is a piece of cake for most (even not so skillful one), but that doesn't make digging into the massive code any easier. I don't plan to document the code, specially with the currently low community I have, beside that, you still get lots of value I think.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Colum Ferry

Colum Ferry Moderator

If I wasn't planning my wedding and had the extra cash to spend I would get the beta license and test this out fully